Clash Royale: How to build your own deck
Whether you are a new player or a well-experienced player, there’s always something new to learn. That’s why we’re here today, to learn how to build your own OP deck to gain trophies and win challenges.
First of all, you need to understand the types of cards that Clash Royale has:
Clash Royale type of Cards
1. Win conditions
This type of card is the one that will lead you to victory, it targets buildings and can be a tank, fast card, air card, and more. Examples are Hog Rider, Balloon, Giant, Golem, Goblin Giant, Goblin Drill, etc. Also, there are buildings that are win conditions as well, like Mortar and X-bow.
2. Air troops
These troops are flying units, can be win conditions as themselves (Lava Hound, Balloon), used to attack with your win conditions (Minions, Bats, etc.) or to defend (Flying Machine, Mega Minion, Inferno Dragon, etc.)
3. Ground troops
The ground troops are cards that are placed on the ground, don’t fly. It can be a win condition (Hog Rider, Golem, Giant, etc.), swarm offensive troops (Goblins, Goblin Gang, etc.), or defensive troops (Mini Pekka, Pekka, Skeleton Army, etc.). These defensive troops can provide a counter-attack if they survive while defending.
There are offensive spells and defensive spells, but the majority can be used on both occasions, and are named as Big spells (Fireball, Rocket, Lightning, etc) and Small Spells (The Log, Arrows, Zap, etc.).
The Buildings can be used as a win condition by themselves (Mortar, X-bow), defensively (Tesla, Cannon, Goblin Cage), or a bit of both, called the Spawners: Goblin Hut, Furnace, and Barbarian Hut.
Now that you know the basics, now you’ll learn to build a winning deck.
How to build an OP deck in Clash Royale
Before starting, you need to know that you always need synergy between the cards you’re using, the rarity of the card doesn’t matter that much. You need every card to work alongside each other and never because it’s a good card (Epic or Legendary cards are great but if you’re using them just for the rarity, you won’t have success).
Said that here’s what you need to build a strong deck in Clash Royale:
- Win Condition. Try to adapt the one you choose to your playstyle:
- Do you like fast cards and apply constant pressure? Try some Hog Rider or Miner decks.
- Do you prefer to play slow but then build strong attacks later in the game? Try some Beatdown decks.
- Do you want strong defensive decks with Buildings as win conditions? Check out some Siege decks.
- If you like to punish your opponent for using a spell, try out Log Bait decks or Spell bait decks.
As you have seen, there’s a lot of options and Deck Archetypes, but here’s a picture of every win condition right now, select your favorite one:
- Now that you have selected your win condition (2 maximum, and but must be complementary), you need to choose a couple of cards that can defend Air Troops. Those cards can be Flying troops like Mega Minion, Minions, Bats, etc., or Ground units like Musketeer, Archers, Firecracker, etc. You can also add a Building like Tesla or Inferno Tower.
- Now that your air defense is covered, now it’s time to get a Win-condition Killer. You need at least one of these cards or two if they are complimentary. For example, to kill a Hog Rider, the Barbarians or Mini Pekka are a great option, and both can be used to kill tanks like Giant, Royal Giant, Goblin Giant, and Golems as well. But what about Lava Hound? Those cards are useless against it, so maybe an Inferno Tower or Inferno Dragon are good options as well. Here are some examples that defenses combinations that are so powerful:
- Goblin Cage + Inferno Dragon
- Mini Pekka + Inferno Dragon
- Tesla + Skeleton Army
- Pekka + Electro Wizard + Magic Archer
- Furnace + Mini Pekka
- Tesla or Inferno Tower+ Valkyrie
- You also need some kind of Splash damage unit, examples are Wizard, Baby Dragon, Dark Prince, Bomber, Valkyrie, Witch, Princess, Executioner, Firecracker, Fire Spirit, etc., also, you can add a Splash building as Bomb Tower, Furnace or Mortar (played defensively).
- Now you need some Ground units that synergize with the Win Condition you chose, those can be your tank killers if you want. For example, Barbarians are a great ground unit to defend, also the Prince, which will defend and also counter-attack. There’s a lot of options, Elite Barbarians, Night Witch, Dark Prince, Goblins, Bandit, Cannon Cart, etc. The most important thing is that the cards you choose don’t have the same function, for example, Mini Pekka + Dark Prince for Individual and AoE damage, do not choose Mini Pekka + Prince as they do practically the same.
- It’s not necessary but you can also add Air units as well, like Flying Machine, Mega Minion, Minions, etc. They are harder to defend.
- Swarm units (Skeletons, Goblins, Goblin Gang, etc) are important to distract the enemy’s attacks, for example, Elite barbarians can be easily defended with 1 elixir Skeletons + Archers winning +2 elixir with that trade.
- To make a winning deck, you need at least a couple of Spells, one Big Spell as Fireball or Poison and one Small Spell as Zap or Arrows. Those spells need to be useful in defense and offense and must be complimentary, do not use Freeze + Rocket or Fireball + Lightning.
- In ladder, you also need to take into account the level of your cards, you can’t use a lot of under-leveled cards. Check out the following post about the Best Free-to-play decks which are easy to level up and are so powerful as well.
You need to understand the synergy between your cards, and also that some cards are only used in certain decks, not all cards work for each of the different deck archetypes. For example, Three Musketeers doesn’t synergize well with Lava Hound, or Miner doesn’t work with Graveyard. Instead of that, Miner works so well with Lava Hound decks or Three Musketeers, or Golem works so well with Night Witch (as another example).
On the website Deckshop.pro , there’s an option to build a deck and copy it afterward. The good thing about this is that explains to you the synergy between your cards and also if there is a balance between the attack and defense of your deck, which can give you an idea on how to build your own deck, and if it will be viable at all. Check it out here.
And this is everything about deck building. Be ready to make your own successful deck, be creative and who knows, maybe you are the person who creates the new best deck of Clash Royale.
Check more Clash Royale guides
Help us sharing!